Friday, September 17, 2010

Goodnight Lilly

I told her, just before leaving New Jersey:

"You've got to be here when I get back."

Unfortunately, the demands of man are but a request to God.

Lilly had become quite ill over the last week. She went to the vet's office twice.

They gave her medicine at first.

Yesterday, she spent the day at the vet's getting IV's for dehydration.

Chris kept me updated throughout the day.

After a long day, she bought Lilly home. She described her as lethargic, disinterested in both food and drink, and looking sad.

I knew in my heart of hearts I would not see her again.

My phone rang shortly after 10:00 pm.

Lilly passed quietly into the night in the arms her beloved owner moments before.

Goodnight Lilly.

Air Traffic Mike, brokenhearted.

4 comments:

Chris Hooks said...

The 'two-foot food critic' and you were quite a pair in the kitchen. A perfect match, in fact. Your love of cooking.....and her love of eating.

Thank you for taking care of her, ATM. I know you loved her, too.

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, and you don't know me. However, I enjoy reading your blog and when I read the headline, I immediately sighed and thought, oh no. I am so sorry. I loved the pictures of Lilly in the kitchen keeping a watchful eye.

Anonymous said...

I cried real tears when I found out the news. Dogs are so close to my heart. I lost one about a year ago. Its like losing a child and you never get over it. I have her ashes in a box on my mantle and she will be buried with me. (Go ahead and laugh. It's OK) Love is love, and maybe time heals all things. Miss Lilly is in my heart and I hope she is with my Punkin and running, chasing squirrels and having such a good time. That's the way I picture them. Lots of Love to you Chris! Linda Wood

Anonymous said...

Chris & Mike:

I was crest fallen to hear of Lilly's passing. She was adorable in her bed supervising the goings-on in the kitchen! Please know you both are in my thoughts.

MaryPat