Monday, April 9, 2012

I Think April Is My Favorite Month

Hey, we all have our favorites.

I know a number of people who love the month of September. The onerous heat of Summer usually breaks by then. You can still go to the beach or lake, but all the amateurs/tourists/people who should never own a boat or watercraft are long gone. It's funny, but my opinion of what I'd like to see happen to them changes by the month as Summer progresses:

May: "I hope everybody has a safe week."


June: "I hope the idiots don't kill themselves."


July: "I hope the %$#@&*%$ idiots don't kill some innocent people."


August: "DIE IDIOTS, DIE!!!!!!!!!"


As much as I like those months, in spite of what I've seen happen on the water, I find them only "okay". October is a nice month, but I find it a bit melancholy. The crisp air is nice, but the shorter days portend the approach of Winter. November with it's cold rains, December and January, with their snows and mostly bleary days have a tendency to make me sad. I've had many bad things happen in the Winter months. I don't "dread" them. I would never fly in the face of God by taking time as such, for granted. At the same time, I really don't feel like I can embrace the time of year.

I don't know ANYBODY who says, "February is my favorite month.". If they exist, they all must be locked up in the asylum.

March is okay. Especially this year. The weather has been very kind to us here. I have never been in South Jersey where we could, and have opened the windows this soon.

So here we are, in South Jersey, in April. The flowering trees, forsythia, and bulb plants always put on a show. This year, the show has been nothing short of spectacular.

Right now, it's a breezy 65 degree day. Perfect for opening up the windows and airing the house out. Perfect for a retired guy to make braised pork in red sauce. Perfect for a young retired guy to sit in the kitchen, listen to the radio, and type his blog wearing a pair of jeans, socks, and nothing else.

Even "herding Dachshunds" is an even more pleasant chore on a day like today.

Oh, by the way, "Billy" and his new best friend "Mercedes" are doing wonderfully.

"Mercedes" acts like she's been here all her life and "Billy" really treats her as she has as well.

Yesterday, Christine's daughters dropped off their two dogs on the way to have Easter dinner with their father's family.

Three Dachshunds and a Yorkie mix.

I have to tell you, it was pretty funny.

Since it was just Christine and I, we made sure the doggies had a bit of the Smithfield ham I baked.

Who doesn't love watching a dog tear into ham?

The girls came back later in the evening to have dessert with us and visit with their mom. They both have such bright and exciting futures ahead of them. It's really enjoyable for me to watch what they do and listen to them talk about what's going on.

One thing I have always believed to be true: "There's no goal that can not be achieved when you put forth your best effort."

I'm positive Christine shares my optimism and enthusiasm.

There's still 2/3 of the month of April left.

If the first 1/3 of the month is any indication, it's going to be the best one ever.

Step out into the world, take a great big deep breath, and exhale.

It's a treat so few of us take advantage of.

Until the next time, all y'all take care of yourselves.

Air Traffic Mike, ret.

No comments: