Thursday, May 3, 2012

Meanwhile, Back At The Blog

Okay, no reruns today or for the following couple of weeks.

We have no plans for a change.

Christine is wrapping up a very busy month. The real estate market has kept her busy as has her framing business. She and her partner just finished framing and matting 18 pieces for a young artist. The works are on display in Center City Philadelphia.

If anybody needs the address to the exhibit let me know. I'll get it for you.

Last week we were sort of covered up. Christine with her job/business and me with herding three Dachshunds and a "Chorkie". If you go back two blogs you can read all about it.

We had one day where there was nothing scheduled. That was Sunday. However, my oldest cousin Ricky and I have been trying to get together for some time. Sunday worked out for him as well as me. Besides, as I mentioned in this blog, I had something to give to Ricky.

Sunday came, we loaded into the AirTrafficMobile and headed down to Maryland.

He and his wife Patty live right next to the little town most of us Walkers hail from.

I have a lot of friends who claim to come from "small town America". I've been to some of their hometowns. Believe me, if they ever saw Hack's Point or Long Point, Maryland they'd think they'd grown up in Manhattan.

In no way am I insulting or putting down either town. I think any child would be lucky to spend time in either. It has everything you need. It has a convenience store with an attached ice cream parlor, and a river suitable for boating, fishing, and swimming.

Anyway, it took Christine and I about an hour to drive down. The traffic on Rte. 40 sure is a lot heavier these days than it was back in the 1960's and 1970's. Rte 40 used to be mostly farmland once you got out of New Castle, Delaware. Now it's mostly apartments, housing developments, strip shopping centers, and traffic lights.

Just because someone calls it "progress" doesn't mean it's "progress" for everyone.

The traffic made us about 15 minutes late. That's not a big deal, but I don't like being late. It's a pet peeve shared by myself, my brother Kevin, and our late brother Bruce.

"Being late is a character flaw!!!!"  - - Bruce Walker


However, since we were just going to visit and not go out for lunch it worked out just fine.

I gave Ricky a slide rule that had belonged to his late father. Ricky was grateful to have it.

Ricky pulled a big cardboard box from under the pool table and opened it. Inside were hundreds, if not thousands, of Walker family pictures from the 1930's on. Of particular interest were pictures of my paternal grandparents old house in Elsmere, Delaware. I had never seen pictures of it.

One series of pictures were taken when my late father was home from boot camp at Fort Benning, Georgia. He was training to be a paratrooper in one of the earliest classes at the time. Far from being the 40 year old man he was when I was born, he was a young buck in the pictures. Not an ounce of fat on him and all muscles from the waist up. There were pictures of him and my grandparents. There were pictures of him and his younger sister, Ricky's mom Aunt Betty. There were pictures of him and his kid brother, my Uncle Bill. The picture that made me melt though was a picture of my Dad's youngest sister, Aunt Patsy, sitting on his knee with him in uniform. She was all of two years old.

It's just a great photo.

I told Ricky that we need to set aside a weekend, select a group of photos over the years, scan them, and get them out to the rest of the family for them to enjoy.

It was at that point he asked, "Did you get the email I forwarded to you from your second cousin Beth?" I told him that I had indeed and that it was my intention to get a hold of her this week.

Beth is our cousin Doug's daughter. She's working on a large genealogy project encompassing the various families she's related to. It's a daunting challenge. Fortunately she has some of the "obsessive genes" that come with being a Walker.

Also, I told her I'd be happy to assist in any way.

Now then, back to Long Point, Maryland and visiting cousin Ricky.

Everything was going fine. We were having a nice visit.

Then, it happened.

I should have known better than to leave him out by the garage.

Splitty the Maul noticed that cousin Ricky had left his keys in the golf cart.

Mauls dig golf carts.


Splitty took off for the waterfront.

I wasn't going to try and stop him. I tried that once when he took off on a front end loader. I learned my lesson.

Ricky, Patty, Christine and I walked over to the deck.


Splitty was already slung up in a chair enjoying the view.

What's the view look like you ask?


A little something like this.

Unfortunately for Splitty, there was one slight issue.


He wasn't quite tall enough to see over the rail.

Such is life when one is a maul I suppose.

Like I've always said, "I don't work on problems. I work on solutions."

I had an idea.


I had Splitty climb up on my shoulders.

Problem solved.

We were on a bit of a schedule with the four little doggies back at the house in South Jersey. We headed back to Ricky and Patty's where Ricky grilled us all up some of the best cheeseburgers I've had in years. Honestly, we'd have liked to stay longer.

Maybe next time.

In the meantime, the rest of the week has been mostly quiet. Christine hit the ground running on Monday and hasn't stopped since. Her oldest daughter came down Monday and took "Butter" and "Millie" back to Philly. That makes my day a lot quieter.

Tonight, peace and quiet.

Tomorrow, looks I might break out the heavy cookware and cook BIG food.

I'm overdue to do so.

Until the next time, all y'all take care of yourselves.

Air Traffic Mike, ret.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Woo! I made it into the blog! Neato! :D Occupying the same virtual space as Splitty is a heady thing. So this picture scanning project -- can I tag along? The photos mentioned have me very, very excited, and I am the proud owner of a portable scanner. Talk to you soon! <3 Beth

Air Traffic Mike said...

Beth,

I'm sure cousin Rick would have no problem with you tagging along or working on the project with us.

I'm not sure if Ricky has a scanner. I figured I'd just pick one up.

After that I figure the easiest thing to do is for me to buy an external hard drive to copy the pictures to. Then we can burn CD's off my lap top.

If we decide to put in some background music, I have "Muvee" on my lap top to do it with.

Glad you've had a chance to read through the blog a bit.

I'll be in touch re:family pics soon.

Mike